Volunteers are a key part of the ward team and provide general, non-clinical support to patients. Being aWard Friend is about proactively engaging and interacting with patients, sitting with people who maybe anxious or need a listening ear, facilitating activities, running errands or fulfilling basic shoppingrequests. It also includes providing basic support and encouragement to patients around mealtime.
- Proactively befriending patients, their relatives and visitors
- Escorting patients to other parts of the hospital, as directed by the nurse in charge/senior staff
- Promoting activities that help relieve boredom
- Helping patients manage the hospital entertainment system
- Running errands for patients
- Supporting patients with their meals and offering encouragement
- Spotting simple ways to make patients more comfortable during mealtimes, e.g. getting an extrablanket if someone is cold
- Ensuring patients are happy with their meals
- Covering the hot drinks trolley
- Anything that may assist in the smooth running of the ward
Apply for this role
Choose your preferred role...
I am interested in the opportunity of Ward Friend